Manchester United will head into Sunday’s showdown at Anfield prime of the Premier League after Paul Pogba’s volley noticed off a cussed Burnley 1-0 at Turf Moor.
Pogba capped one other influential efficiency with the winner as his deflected strike noticed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s facet lastly unlock the Burnley defence on 71 minutes.
VAR dominated the primary interval, with Luke Shaw lucky to see yellow and never pink for a forceful problem on Johann Berg Gudmundsson, earlier than Harry Maguire’s header was dominated out for a foul on Erik Pieters.
Burnley got here to life after Pogba’s second league objective of the season, however United noticed out the victory which places them three factors away from champions Liverpool and prime of the Premier League on the 17-recreation mark for the primary time since their 2012/13 title-successful season below Sir Alex Ferguson.
United are actually unbeaten in 15 Premier League away video games, their final defeat on the street got here in January 2020 at Anfield, the place they head subsequent on Super Sunday – stay on Sky Sports.
Burnley: Pope (7), Lowton (6), Tarkowski (7), Mee (7), Pieters (6), Brady (6), Westwood (6), Gudmundsson (6), Brownhill (6), Barnes (6), Wood (6).
Subs: McNeil (6), Rodriguez (n/a), Vydra (n/a).
Man Utd: De Gea (7), Wan-Bissaka (6), Bailly (8), Maguire (8), Shaw (6), Matic (7), Pogba (9), Rashford (6), Fernandes (6), Martial (6), Cavani (7).
Subs: Greenwood (n/a), Tuanzebe (n/a), McTominay (n/a).
Man of the Match: Paul Pogba.
How Pogba fired United prime of the pile
Burnley and United performed out an edgy, goalless first half at Turf Moor that was awash with controversy.
After Bruno Fernandes’ first-time shot drew Nick Pope into his first save of the sport and Anthony Martial noticed an overhead kick blocked, a flashpoint at each ends of the sphere left each groups fuming and calling for a dismissal.
Shaw lunged in over the ball on Gudmundsson, initiating a counter-assault which noticed Robbie Brady scythe Edinson Cavani down on the sting of the field.
- Nick Pope, Matt Lowton, Ashley Westwood and Josh Brownhill returned as Burnley made 4 modifications from the FA Cup penalty shootout victory over MK Dons.
- Edinson Cavani returned from a 3-recreation suspension and Eric Bailly was the one participant to retain his place as Man Utd made 10 modifications from the FA Cup win over Watford.
Referee Kevin Friend booked Brady solely to have it rescinded after a prolonged VAR assessment of each incidents dominated Shaw had dedicated an offence which noticed him booked as a substitute.
Fortunate to not have been diminished to 10 males, United regarded to have taken full benefit of their reprieve when Maguire rose on the again put up to move in Shaw’s cross. But there was extra controversy as the trouble was chalked off after the United captain was adjudged to have fouled Erik Pieters.
There was nonetheless time earlier than the break for one more United probability, however Pope made a shocking fingertip save from Pope prevented Martial’s curled effort nestling within the prime nook.
United took full management of the sport within the second half, peppering the Burnley objective, however Cavani was unable to transform their dominance as two presentable possibilities handed him by.
But the stress lastly instructed with 19 minutes remaining. Pogba’s flick-on initiated an assault and the Frenchman completed it off, lashing Marcus Rashford’s cross into the Burnley web courtesy of a deflection off Matthew Lowton. There was to be no denying United prime spot as all eyes turned to Anfield.
Opta stats – United win on the street once more
- This is the primary time Manchester United have ended the day prime of the Premier League desk, having performed as many as 17 video games, for the reason that ultimate day of their title-successful marketing campaign in 2012-13 below Sir Alex Ferguson.
- Manchester United have stored their first away clear sheet of the season within the Premier League, conceding 11 objectives of their earlier seven matches on the street on this marketing campaign.
- Burnley have scored only one objective of their final 10 residence league video games in opposition to Manchester United, in comparison with 20 of their earlier 10 video games versus the Red Devils at Turf Moor.
- Burnley have gained simply one in all their final 26 Premier League residence video games in opposition to the “big six” sides (D4 L21), a 2-1 victory over Tottenham in February 2019.
- Burnley didn’t land a single shot on the right track in opposition to Manchester United, the second time they’ve not discovered the goal in a Premier League recreation this season, the opposite in opposition to Chelsea in October.
What the managers mentioned…
Man Utd supervisor Ole Gunnar Solskjaer instructed Sky Sports: “When you get three points in the Premier League it makes you smile. It was a hard-fought three points; it always is up here.
“Paul [Pogba] is an enormous participant for us, he is a personality within the dressing room, is all the time one which the lads look to, he is a world champion. We’re seeing the perfect of Paul for the time being; he is getting higher and higher each recreation.
“It’s a brilliant position to be in [three points clear of Liverpool]. Of course we know we’re going to the champions who have had an unbelievable three-and-a-half seasons, we know it’s going to be a difficult game for us, but we are ready for it.
“We could not have requested for a greater time to play Liverpool as a result of we’re in good condition, in good kind and are hungry, which is an effective factor as a result of these boys need to get higher and that is the take a look at of their character and high quality.”
Burnley boss Sean Dyche instructed Sky Sports: “I thought it was a good performance against a top side who are doing well. We are improving and will continue to grow as the season goes on.
“I assumed they [the officials] handled it [the VAR incidents] one of the best ways they might. The consequence was the proper one.
“I am a big fan of being careful with the physicality, but on another day that tackle (Shaw’s foul) is just a little bit too high and just a little too late.
“I do not need to see folks pink-carded, however on one other day, he may need been off for that.”
Man of the Match – Paul Pogba
Burnley journey to West Ham within the Premier League on Saturday at 3pm, earlier than Manchester United journey to Liverpool on Super Sunday at 4.30pm – stay on Sky Sports Premier League.